Thursday, June 5, 2008

Rockin' My Leggings August 28, 2006

OK, so you know what time it is. Time for more grammar complaints. And fashion complaints, as an added bonus.

Please, please, please, please, please stop "rockin'" things. Stop rockin' your t-shirts, stop rockin' your haircuts, stop rockin' your leggings, stop rockin' your black nail polish. (I do kinda like black nail polish, though). You can rock out. You can rock. You can even rock and roll.

But please stop rockin' your clothes. You can wear your clothes. You can sport your clothes.

The next time some magazine tells me to rock some article of clothing, I'm going to assume they mean I must literally look like Ozzy Osbourne while wearing it.

Oh, and the leggings ...

Why are leggings back? Why must everyone wear leggings with long, over-sized sweater dresses? This was popular when I was in junior high, and now it's back?

Looking like Grimace is not flattering to any figure, no matter what size you are!

I really don't understand why mid-1980s fashion is back. It was bad enough the first time. Unless you really want to dress like Molly Ringwald for Halloween, there is no reason to pile on all sorts of layers.

And suspenders? Why are suspenders in?

As far as I can tell, here are some of the major trends right now ... long, bulky sweaters, thick belts on everything, leggings, bouffant hair, red lips, animal prints, large plastic beads and bangles ... in other words, you'll be cool if you look like this:



2 comments:

Laura Carney said...

From Joe: It's official. I'm a living legend --

Fashion always comes full circle. I'm dreading when the bright neon colors of the 90s come around again =/

Amber said...

I know this is an old post, but oh my God, I'm so glad someone has finally spoken up against the "rocking". That phrase annoys me more than is really reasonable. Hate it. With a vengeance.

(I still like leggings, though, although I will only wear them with boots, so they just look like tights. I know that sounds totally pointless, but they're so much more comfortable than actual tights, and they tend to be thicker and warmer, too.)